Thursday, January 20, 2022

What's Your Name?

 


When people ask me what my name is, without thinking I answer Sherryl. It’s what I’m called and have been since my mother declared it when I was born. But there is so much more to my name than what people call me or I call myself. In the dictionary, the primary definition of a person’s name is “description or reputation.” It’s how one is viewed by others based on actions and behavior. How do you represent your name to others? Does the way you treat your spouse speak well or ill of your name? 

Throughout the Scripture it is clear that names are a big deal to God. He gave his own name to Moses. This name has always been so revered by the Jewish people that they call him HaShem, which means “The Name,” a euphemism for God. His Name was so respected and valued by his people. When Solomon built the temple, he did it so that God’s Name would inhabit it. (1 Kings 8:29). There are many other names in Scripture describing God to reveal his wonderful and perfect character. The first and most used is Elohim, found in Genesis 1. Among the many of my favorite names for God is El Ro’i, which means “You, God, see me.” Sometimes when I feel alone or small and insignificant, I reflect on this name of my Father (another of his names) and I remember my value and purpose.

The Hebrew people often named their children according to what they believed the child’s character would someday be. Some of these names describe good character and sometimes they are not at all complimentary. Many times names were actually changed to reflect a changed status or the description of an individual. God himself changed Jacob’s (Ya’akov) name to Isra’el, because he had “shown his strength to both God and men and have prevailed” (Genesis 32:29). Jesus gave Simon (Shim’on) the name Peter (Kefa), which means “rock” in Aramaic.

I have been thinking more lately about my own name. It all started when a friend asked me to think of a word that I would describe myself by. That was hard. I do a lot of self examination, but I have never tried to sum me up in one word. If I think of a word that I perceive as a character trait, would others agree with that? What would be the first thing my husband would think of to describe me? My children? My close friends? Acquaintances? People I encounter out in my day to day interactions?

What kind of legacy am I creating for myself right now, day to day, that I will be remembered by? But most importantly, what am I doing every day in my interactions with others that HaShem would be delighted with? The most important thing about my name is that it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life (Rev. 21:27). And as I pondered what my description of myself would be, I thought that when I stand before him I want him to look at me and say, “Well done, you were a good and trustworthy servant” (Matthew 25:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment